Monday, February 10, 2014

Introduction: Chris, Agriscience Teacher Williston High School


Hello everyone my name is Chris and I love agriculture.  I’ve been teaching agriculture education for the past 21 years and still love every day.  

 I am one of two in the Williston High school agriculture department. Williston high school is a rural high school of 550 students  9th – 12th grade.   Peanuts, cattle and watermelon are the big three agriculture commodities of my community.  

 I’m a proud third generation University of Florida Gator earning both my bachelor’s and master’s degree from this wonderful institution.  Agriculture education is in my blood. My dad taught agriculture for 32 years and we actually taught in adjacent high schools for six years, sharing many students who never had to learn another ag teacher’s name. No matter which high school they attended it was always Mr. Wilder.   

I’ve passed on this amazing desire to educate others to my oldest daughter who is not only getting married in November but who also wants to teach agriculture education.  She is currently is on track to graduate from the College of Central Florida in December and continue her classes at West Texas A&M.  My youngest daughter is in love with our family’s Brahman cattle.  She has been exhibiting them around Florida and Texas for the past 2 years and doing extremely well.  I see animal sciences in her future.
As you see my family is extremely important to me and I support them in everything.  They are the reason I’m attending this amazing trip to South Korea.  Once I was invited by the University of Florida faculty, my wife contacted my family and together they are financially supporting this expedition.  To them I give all the honor of this trip. 
Why South Korea? I desire to develop a greater assortment of educational topics, methodology and just to continue to grow and get better as a teacher.  Learning from another culture first hand would certainly be the way to go.  Remember always that I am a teacher by choice and not by chance and that I do what I love and love what I do.  I can’t wait to meet all of you and travel half way around the world…, until then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment