Friday, February 21, 2014

Introduction: Jess, Juniata Agriscience Teacher

Self Introduction:  Jess


If this time last year you would have told me that I would be traveling half way around the world to go to South Korea, I would have told you that you were crazy.   I remember sitting at the Fall Leadership Conference in October and listening to Dr. Foster talk about the Global South Korea Experience thinking that would be a great experience.  That evening I went home and shared it with my husband.  Little did I know that after telling him of this opportunity, he would push me into taking this once in a lifetime journey.   I started to panic thinking of all the FFA events I would miss: officer retreat, fair meetings, SAE visits, and teacher workshops and I started to consider not applying.   I would be a work alcoholic if it was not for him keeping be grounded and reminding me from time to time that the work can wait until tomorrow.  I thank him for that!

Traveling for a month, I will be leaving behind my four legged child-Jasper who is a 2 year old Weimaraner.  Each year the spoiled little brat ends up getting more presents under the Christmas tree than anyone else.   I also will be leaving many house projects including:  painting, restoring antiques and refinishing hardwood floors.   What makes me most nervous though is the landscape around the house and the garden.  Minoring in horticulture from Penn State University, I value my garden and flower beds.   And lastly but definitely not least, I will be leaving behind and missing my wonderful husband, Jason.  Likely, he knew what he was getting into when he married me three years ago.

Why South Korea you might ask?  Well, I always had the desire to study abroad in college, but it was cut short when I had to miss the fall semester of my sophomore year when I had an horse back riding accident.   I knew if I wanted to graduate with my peers on time, I could not travel abroad.  This experience will let me live out my dream.

Currently, I am in my seventh year of teaching and in my fourth year at my current school.  Being in a single teacher department, I wear many different hats in a day.  I teach everything from Plant Science, Agriculture Mechanics, to Animal Science and Wildlife and Fishery Science.  Though I do not have any children of my own, I do have 124 "kids" in my program.   I can not wait to travel and experience a new culture.  South Korea here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment